20131005

lESS iS morE

Learning from conversation.

Vocabulary:

  • scaredy-cat: someone, especially a child, is easily frightened
    come on, scaredy-cat, it won't bite you. 
  • underfoot: under your feet as you walk
    it feels nicer underfoot.
    the grass was cool and pleasant underfoot. 
  • rousing: making people feel excited, and proud or ready to take actions
    she delivered a rousing speech full of anger and passion.
  • Silhouette: a dark shape seen agains a light surface (???)
    the silhouette of the bare tree on the hill was clearly against the winter sky.
  • en route: on the way to or from somewhere
    I stopped en route and got some wine. 
  • rowdy: noise and possibly violent
    a rowdy party 
  • hut: a small simple building, usually consisting of one room
    a mountain hut
    a wooden hut
    a row of beach huts 
  • stilt: one of a set of long pieces of wood used to support a building so that it is above the ground or water
    the houses are built on stilts to protect them from annual floods. 
  • mosquito net 
  • coral reef: an area of coral, the top of which can sometimes be seen just above the sea
  • snorkel / snorkelling:
    we went snorkelling along the Great Barrier Reef
  • fairly: more than average, but less than very
    I saw her fairly recently.
    we get on fairly well.
    I'm fairly sure that this is the right address.
  • suppose: 
    • to think something is likely to be true: suppose + (that) / suppose + to V
      I couldn't get any reply when I called Dan, so I suppose (that) he's gone out.
      Do you suppose (that) she will marry him?
      he found it a lot difficult to get a job than he supposed it would be.
      We all supposed him to be German, but in fact he was Swiss.
      Her new book is supposed to be very good. 
    • used in making polite request
      I suppose you couldn't lend me some money till tomorrow, could you? 
    • used to show unwillingness to agree
      I don't agree with it, but I suppose (that) it's for the best.
    • (conjunction.) used at the beginning of a sentence or clause to mean "what would happen if":
      Suppose we miss the train - what will we do then?
      We'd love to come and see you on Sunday, suppose/supposing I don't have to work that day.
  • presume: to believe something to be true because it is very likely, although you are not certain.
    I presume (that) they are not coming, since they haven't replied to the invitation.
    You are Dr. Smith, I presume?
    "Are we walking to the hotel?" "I presume so/not."
  • assume: to accept something to be true without question or proof
    I assumed (that) you knew each other because you went to the same school. 
  • apart from: except for or not considering
    apart from us, there was anyone there under 30.
    apart from the salary, it's not a bad job.
  • except: not including; but not
    the museum is open daily except Monday(s).
    everyone was there except for Sally. 
  • seem: to be judged to be 
    • He's 16, but he often seems younger.
      the children seemed tired.
      I suspect his claim is not all they seem -- he tends to exaggerate.
      things are seldom as/what/how they seem. 
    • I seemed to know more about him than anyone else.
      they seemed to be taking a long time to decide.
      There seems to have been a mistake -- my name isn't on the list. 
    • It seems (that) she can't come.
      It seems to me (that) we need to be at the airport two hours before take-off.
      "was a decision made?" "It seems not/so." 

Expression: 
  • What time it will get you there? 
  • It is a long time since I have been to Paris.
    It's been a while since I was last time in Paris. 
  • I bet: said to show that you understand why someone has a particular opinion or feels a particular way
    "I was so relieved I didn't have to clean up after the party." "I bet you were."
    "I'm so annoyed with her." "I'll bet."



No comments: